Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Epic Journey Home - Part Eight

Monday evening is fast approaching. Our camp is almost completely broken down. We are pretty sure my gear can be fit in the big truck. At this point I am without a ride. I begin checking with everyone what their riding situation is. My friend Mims, who is here from Austin, Texas with her friend Danny and Heather, points out that someone pulled out of riding with them in their van, they should have room and are going to LA. But they are leaving in a couple hours. I run over and start breaking down my camp immediately. Thankfully it only takes me about 20 minutes. I stack up the items going in the big truck and drag over my duffle and backpack to the van. We've created an open space in the back of the van where we can all fit and even lie down. There are 7 of us total in the van, 5 lying like sardines in the back. It is actually pretty comfortable. I proceed to pull out a book light and read through exodus. It was a really long one this year. Dawn is approaching as we finally leave BRC.

I nap sporadically as we drive and check my cell signal. As soon as a decent hour hits I call my friend Brendan in LA. He's always telling me I need to visit... surprise! I'll be there this afternoon. Can I crash? He tells me of course but he won't be home from work until around 630pm. I tell him we'll cross that bridge when I get to LA. We make good time, stopping occasionally for gas and food. We hit La and begin to drop off the various people where they need to be until it is only the crew from Austin and myself. They are staying at another friend's house, but we have beat that person to LA. We begin our search for a shower. All we can think about is getting clean at this point. The van and us have developed a definite funk. It takes us a while but eventually we manage to get keys to the friend's house they are staying at. Showers at last! I washed my hair three times. It was glorious.

It's about 4pm at this point and everyone wants to head out do stuff so I ask them to drop me at Brendan's house. I know he won't be home yet but I'll figure something out. I am exhausted and and in pain and when I hop out at Brendan's I totally forget my coat and cane in the van. I don't even realize this for 2 more days. I call and he tells me that his car is easy to break into and I can stash my stuff in there. Seriously? So yes, I break into my friend's car and pile my bags up in there. I then grab my purse and go exploring. His place is right in Melrose and there is plenty to reach just by walking. I sit down in a little Pho restaurant and begin stuffing my face with noodle soup and Mexican cola. It's the first real food I've had in over a week and it is delicious. Brendan meets me there after work and we head back to his apartment.

I tell him my crazy story and he says he's happy to have me stay but the bad news is his girlfriend and he are leaving for a wedding in two days. So I only have two days to figure out how to get home or find somewhere else to stay. I know I will be flying home at some point, and that means I also have to find a way to deal with all my camping gear and bike. I can't take them on the plane with me, at least not that I can afford. So I call my cousin who lives outside LA. He says he can easily come pick up and store my stuff for me but I can't stay with him because he is also leaving for a wedding in two days. Why is everyone getting married this weekend?!? I spend the rest of the night looking up flights. All way too expensive and I just give up and go to bed. Maybe things will look better in the morning.

I was completely right to sleep on it because I wake up to an email from Virgin mobile announcing special rates for the following week. I manage to get a flight home for only $120. LA to DC. Now I just need somewhere to stay for a week. I realize this is the perfect opportunity for me to see my Gran. I book a Greyhound bus to Fresno and walk up to the Target to buy a suitcase that will pass for carry on on the bus and flight. The duffle I have could fit a couple bodies and I do not want to check baggage. I somehow manage to pack all the clothes and books on my huge duffle in one small suitcase and my backpack. My lovely cousin drives out the next night and picks up my gear. My friend gives me cab fare and the next day I leave for Fresno. I am gonna get to spend an entire week with my family who I never get to see!

Coming up: Part Nine where I finally get to give some help instead of asking for it, visit with my lovely Gran, and eventually make it home to Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment